Friday 30 December 2011

Gastronomique Fantastique V


One of my absolute favourite things about the Christmas holidays is a little party we like to call The Gastronomique Fantastique...

"What on earth is that??" I hear you cry.  Well, let me tell you a little story.

In 2006, Husband and his mate Tom decided that what they wanted to do, more than anything else, to really challenge themselves, was to cook a seven course meal.  And, not just seven courses to push them, but a seven course meal for (roughly) 20 people.

I don't know about you, but until I actually went to this meal, I couldn't guess what the seven courses could be- that is a lot of food!  so here they are, to give you an better idea of what the boys were in for (and what our stomachs had to stretch out for!).

A seven course meal comprises of:
  1. Aperitif
  2. Starter
  3. Soup Course 
  4. Fish Course
  5. Main Course
  6. Dessert
  7. Cheese Board
The night was awesome, the food, delicious and the boys, very proud of them selves.  So this became a tradition, happening every Christmas holidays since, all be it a ever so slightly less extravagant affair now.

This year we had 18 people come for a beautiful 4 course meal (they gained some sense, those boys did).  Including a wonderful, very rare beef wellington and my very own chocolate roulade.

This is a tradition that I love so much because, especially while people were at university up and down the nation, it was the opportunity to meet up with them all and catch up.  now that we've all graduated from undergrad, some people have stayed in the Leicester area, but it is still a fabulous occasion, and I look forward to it happening every year, from here to forever.

Freya May

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...